Living In Adrian
Welcome to Adrian, a city of arts and parks, a city of culture and a city in transition. Adrian is the county seat of Lenawee County and is home to Adrian College, Siena Heights University and Jackson College. Residents will tell you that we have a broad range of year-round activities, including Art-A-Licious, Blues & Brews Festival and downtown Adrian’s First Fridays.
Throughout Adrian, residents can enjoy more than 17 community parks and open spaces, an award-winning school district and a historic downtown Adrian featuring 21st century dining, shopping and entertainment. Arts and cultural activities are the core of our downtown, anchored by the Croswell Opera House, the longest continually operating opera house east of the Mississippi. Another remarkable community asset is the Adrian Symphony Orchestra, one of the premier small market orchestras in the nation, which attracts the finest musicians from the world’s stages to produce performances of the highest quality.
Meanwhile, nearby universities and training institutions constitute an extensive employment and educational resource for area businesses, including Adrian College, Siena Heights University, Jackson College and the LISD Tech Center.
Art in Adrian
- Adrian Symphony Orchestra one of the premier small market orchestras in the nation, the Adrian Symphony Orchestra was founded more than 30 years ago with the mission to create musical performances of the highest quality. More about the Adrian Symphony Orchestra.
- Adrian Art Discovery– Enjoy a walk through the downtown parks and places as you experience each sculpture in this outdoor art program. Sculptures are on display in and around downtown Adrian. More about Adrian Art Discovery
- Adrian First Fridays– Downtown Adrian hosts a series of events called Adrian First Fridays. On the first Friday of each month a group of arts and cultural activities and special events happen in Downtown Adrian. Downtown businesses host art, music, food, fun and hundreds of guests.
- The Croswell Opera House is a vibrant and unique asset. They offer the best available talent in live theatre, children’s theatre and special events. Musical and dramatic presentations can be seen all year long.Visit the Croswell’s website for a list of this year’s productions and events.
- Lenawee Council for the Visual Arts– LCVA is a non-profit organization committed to providing opportunities for visual arts in Lenawee County. Located within the historic Croswell Opera House in Downtown Adrian, it’s diverse membership includes professional artists, vocational artists, patrons of the arts and those who simply appreciate art. The downtown gallery hosts monthly shows and open houses featuring art from area residents, youth, and students.
- Art-A-Licious– The Art-A-Licious Festival excites, educates and encourages participation in all aspects of the arts. Each year thousands of visitors are exposed to visual, performing, and literary arts during this two day event in downtown Adrian. Visit the Art-A-Licious website for more information about the festival.
Adrian has 17 beautifully maintained parks and the Kiwanis Trail, an 8-mile paved trail stretching from Adrian toward Tecumseh. The trail provides a transition from the sights and sounds of the city to the sights and sounds of nature. The newest extension of the trail runs to a bridge that traverses the River Raisin and connects into Riverside Park, creating the new southern trailhead. The Kiwanis Trail can offer a full day of enjoyment for all ages by providing accessibility to points of interest along the way including Riverside Park that offers picnic and recreational amenities, including Bohn Pool and Trestle Park that features the Trestle Park amphitheatre.More about Adrian’s parks and trails.
Authenticity captures the essence of Downtown Adrian. From a rare quality of life to a unique entrepreneurial spirit, Downtown Adrian is a celebration of food, family and fabulous finds.
Nestled inside historic buildings you’ll find an interesting mix of specialty shops, professional services, clothing boutiques and dining options. Affordable rents, large and small spaces, a convenient central location and ongoing municipal improvements are just a few reasons to enjoy downtown.
Above downtown businesses, unique 2nd and 3rd story apartments have become a haven for young professionals. These newly renovated spaces have modern amenities in a classic setting, most with their own perspective of buildings more than 100 years old.
ProMedica Charles and Virginia Hickman Hospital
The ProMedica Charles and Virginia Hickman Hospital is nestled on M-52 in Adrian Township. The hospital is over 200,000 square feet, consisting of 40 medical-surgical beds, 10 critical care beds, four operating rooms with three minor procedure rooms, 27 emergency rooms, eight labor and delivery rooms and full diagnostics.
The Health and Wellness campus also includes the state of the art 32,000 Frank and Shirley Dick YMCA and the ProMedica Wellness Center. The YMCA houses a family pool and a therapy pool, a gymnasium, kids' space, fitness /workout rooms and locker rooms, as well as ProMedica Total Rehab rehabilitation treatment modalities and aquatics. ProMedica Farms and Hoop House is on campus. The Hoop House is a medical-clinical facility that is handicap accessible. It houses the diabetes program and offers numerous rehab opportunities. Produce grown on the Farm goes directly to the community via the Veggie Mobile. The Education Center at the Farm offers opportunities for the community to learn and explore. The campus also offers two miles of walking paths.
ProMedica Charles and Virginia Hickman Hospital
Lenawee Community Foundation
“The mission of the Lenawee Community Foundation is to enhance the quality of life of the citizens of Lenawee County, Michigan through permanent endowments by:
Identifying and addressing current and anticipated community needs, raising, managing, and distributing the funds for charitable purposes in the area of civic, cultural, health, educational and social services”. The Lenawee Community Foundation provides several invaluable services. For more information about the Lenawee Community Foundation, please click here: Lenawee Community Foundation For volunteer opportunities, please visit: VOLUNTEER Lenawee! For a complete Lenawee County Resource Guide, please visit: Lenawee County Resource Guide
Lenawee County Fair & Event Grounds
As the site of the oldest fair in Michigan the Lenawee County Fair Grounds has been hosting fairs, providing quality entertainment and events since 1839. The grounds are home to hundreds of events each year including animal shows, motorcycle races, home shows and other social and consumer events. More about the Lenawee County Fair.
Dial-A-Ride is the public transportation system in Adrian that will pick you up at your curb side and take you anywhere you want to go in the city limits of Adrian. We offer comfortable seating and each vehicle is wheel chair accessible. More about Dial-A-Ride.